Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Blogpodium & IDS



Last week I had the pleasure of attending the Interior Design Show (IDS) in Toronto. It was my first
visit. As a blogger, attending Blogpodium, I had an all access media pass to the previews, the Gala and Trade Day.

I did stop by the Gala on thursday night and I must admit it was overwhelming. So many people. However, I had a great time walking the show, sipping some champagne and spotting the design celebs.

My daughter had strict instructions for me to tell Tommy (Smythe) hello and that she thought he was hilarious. Ha! Alas...that opportunity did not arise.

Friday morning I returned for what I
felt was the highlight of my IDS experience -- Blogpodium.



The panel was great!
Margot Austin, Canadian House & Home
Kate Moore, CityLine and Jennifer Flores, Rambling Renovators
Moderated by Leigh-Ann Allaire, Benjamin Moore


Inspiring and useful information on Blogs & Media.
Although all the panelists had great tips and advice, I especially related to Margot Austin's remarks. I thought she provided some valuable insight into the world of print media and the appeal of a well edited blog. She also stressed the importance of giving credit where credit is due. For example, giving proper credit for photography and links to the original content.

Kimberley Seldon's advice to provide original content was key. This is something I really try to do on my blog. It is also what typically appeals to me about other blogs - fresh ideas, original photography.


I also loved the BlogPodium booklet that Lindsay Stephenson produced. What a lovely memento and tool for connecting.

Blogpodium provided a unique opportunity to meet many fellow Canadian bloggers. Events like these are so valuable! Congratulations to Lindsay Stephenson and Jennifer Flores for organizing an amazing morning! I can't wait to go to the next one.


Bonus: we all left with great swag from generous sponsors including Indigo Books & Music, Home Depot Canada, CB2, Benjamin Moore, Pure Green Magazine, & Canadian House & Home

After Blogpodium, I spent the day getting a better look at IDS.
I met up with Dianne Medieros (psst she's a very talented decorator) and we toured the show.

I thought the highlight of the show was Studio North. I enjoyed seeing artisans and boutiques showcasing their unique Canadian talents. I'd love to see more of that next time....

Above are a small selection of stand out booths from the show.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like it would have been such a fun and informative event!
    I have a tip for myself: post more than once a month!! (and to think I used to post daily...I think I have become to boring to share!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, it was fun. Would be great for you to make it out here for these events or IDS. I hardly think your life is boring!! Just busy :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Great recap Debra and look at your pretty face in the directory! It was so nice to meet you in person. See you at the next BlogPodium!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen. Looking forward to the next event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous! Sounds like an amazing time! Just discovered your blog/shop...so glad I did, your style is lovely. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attended BlogPodium and it was amazing! So informative just too short. Too bad we didn't get a chance to meet. I'm loving your blog. I'm off to peak around.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments!

Share it